Welcome to the University of Southern California Aviation Safety and Security Program. For over half a century the USC program has served as the gold standard of aviation safety management education. The program has developed a reputation for excellence that is recognized nationally and internationally in the aviation community.
Our program was established at USC in 1952 as the first Aviation Safety program at a major research university. We offer 20 courses to nearly 1000 students each year in a personal, hands-on, format. Our instructors are skilled educators with extensive industry experience, and courses are taught in small classes to facilitate classroom interaction. Students gain the knowledge to establish safety programs, investigate aircraft accidents, become expert witnesses, and deal with human factor issues.
Individual courses are designed to provide the student with expertise in a particular subject area. While each course is constructed as a whole and taught independently of the others, those interested in preparing for a full-time career in aviation safety should consider a program of courses that provides broad knowledge. We award the University of Southern California’s Aviation Safety and Security Certificate to those successfully completing the required program. It certifies completion of training in the multidisciplinary areas of Aviation Safety Management.
More than 21,000 aviation professionals have come from over 20 nations to attend, including:
- All major U.S. air carriers and aircraft manufacturers.
- Many International air carriers recognized for their outstanding safety records, including QANTAS, SAS and Lufthansa
- U.S. government agencies managing air safety and accident investigations and recommendations – the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board, and the equivalent agencies of Canada, New Zealand, France, Great Britain, Italy, Singapore, Australia, Spain, Germany and Taiwan
- Other agencies – Forest Service, Customs Service, DEA, FBI, INS, Bureau of Land Management, Border Patrol, all branches of the military
- Local agencies across the country such as: the Los Angeles Police Department, Los Angeles County Fire and Sheriff’s Office, the Orange County Fire Department, the Gainsville Florida Police Department, Columbus Ohio Airport Police, New York City Police Department as well as many others.