Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2017, Doctoral Degree, Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology
- 2010, Master's Degree, Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology
- 2008, Bachelor's Degree, Electrical Engineering, Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
Manuel Monge received the B.S. degree (with honors) in Electrical Engineering from the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru (PUCP), Lima, Peru in 2008, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, CA in 2010 and 2017, respectively. He joined the Ming Hsieh Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Southern California (USC), Los Angeles, CA as an Assistant Professor in August 2018. Before joining USC, he spent a year at Neuralink Corp., developing ultra-high-bandwidth brain-machine interfaces.
His research interests include integrated circuits and systems for medical electronics, analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits, implantable and wearable medical devices, sensing and actuation of biological media, localization of devices inside the body, fully wireless systems, neural prostheses, and brain-machine interfaces.
Dr. Monge is the recipient of the 2017 Charles Wilts Prize from the Department of Electrical Engineering at Caltech for outstanding independent research in electrical engineering leading to a PhD, and the 2017 Demetriades-Tsafka-Kokkalis Prize in Biotechnology from the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at Caltech for the best thesis in the field of biotechnology. He was also the co-recipient of the 2015 IEEE CICC Best Student Paper Award, 2nd Place, and the recipient of the Caltech Rosen Scholarship in 2014.
My research interests focus on combining and integrating physical and biological principles into the design of integrated circuits to engineer miniature biomedical devices for fundamental research, medical diagnosis and treatment.
Manuel Monge Research Summary
- 2020 NIBIB NIBIB Trailblazer Award for New and Early Stage Investigators
- 2017 Caltech-EAS Division Demetriades - Tsafka - Kokkalis Prize in Biotechnology or Related Fields
- 2017 Caltech-EE Department Charles and Ellen Wilts Prize
- 2015 IEEE-CICC Co-recipient of the IEEE CICC Best Student Paper Award, 2nd Place
- 2014 Caltech-Rosen Bioengineering Center Rosen Scholar
- 2013 Broadcom Third place winner of the Broadcom Foundation University Research Competition
- 2009 Caltech Atwood Fellowship
- 2008 EducationUSA and Fulbright Peru Opportunity Grant Scholarship
- 2008 PUCP Best Student Award
- 2007 PUCP Award of Research Initiation
- 2005 PUCP ERA-PUCP Fellowship