Research Associate Professor
- 1987, Masters, Computer Science, Cornell University
- 1992, PhD, Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania
- 1985, Bachelors, Biophysics & Computer Science (double), University of Scranton
Ph.D. in Computer Science, 1992, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Joe received a B.S. (Hons.) degree in biophysics and computer science from the University of Scranton in 1985, an M.S. from Cornell University in 1987 and a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1992, both in computer science. He joined USC/Information Sciences Institute, Marina del Rey, California, in 1992, and is the Postel Center Director in the Computer Networks Division, as well as a research associate professor in USC's Computer Science and EE/Systems Departments.
Joe's current projects include satellite networking, virtual networks, optical Internets, and high-performance network security. His interests include Internet protocols, network architecture, high-speed & low-latency nets, network device design, and experimental network analysis.
He has 5 US patents and over 1000 conference and journal publications, and co-authored High Speed Networking: A Systematic Approach to High-Bandwidth Low-Latency Communication. Joe is a member of Sigma Xi, a Distinguished Scientist of the ACM, a Senior Member of the IEEE and Senior Member of the OSA. He currently serves onf numerous conference steering and program committees, and is active in the IETF. He also serves on the editorial board of Elsevier's Journal of Computer and Systems Sciences.
Satellite networks, virtual networks, recursive networks, optical router and network design, automated network management, high-speed protocols, Internet architecture, and protocols for latency reduction.
- 1996 Public Technology Institute Technology Achievement Winner
- 2002 IEEE Senior Member
- 2003 DARPA FTN Award for Excellence in Academic Research
- 2007 USAF SMC TSAT Space Segment Civilian of the Quarter, 1Q2007
- 2008 USAF SMC TSAT Space Segment Civilian of the Year, 2007
- 2010 ACM Distinguished Scientist
- 2010 ACM Senior Member
- 2012 IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer
- 2013 IEEE TCCC Outstanding Service Award
- 2014 OSA Senior Member