Gabilan Assistant Professor
- 2005, Bachelors, Mechanical Engineering, Drexel University
- 2011, PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- 2008, Masters, Mechanical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
Nora Ayanian is a Gabilan Assistant Professor in the Computer Science Department at the University of Southern California. Prior to joining USC, Ayanian was a postdoctoral associate at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL). Ayanian holds a M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania.
Ayanian's research focuses on the question: How can we enable almost anyone to use teams of robots? To that end, Ayanian studies and develops end-to-end solutions for coordinating teams of robots, combining automation and artificial intelligence to create new kinds of autonomy. These solutions take very high level specifications, such as simple multi-touch input from a tablet, and provide automated code delivery to all robots in the team. By applying AI and studying human interaction, robots work collaboratively and accomplish tasks autonomously. Her solutions are broadly applicable across all aspects of multi-robot systems and mobile sensor networks, including manufacturing, warehousing, environmental monitoring, precision agriculture, and emergency response.
- 2013 IEEE Intelligent Systems AI's 10 to Watch
- 2014 NerdWallet 40 under 40 Professors who Inspire
- 2015 University of Southern California Hanna Reisler Mentorship Award
- 2015 Mic.com Mic50
- 2016 MIT Technology Review 35 Innovators Under 35 (TR35)
- 2016 The Okawa Foundation for Information and Telecommunications Research Grant
- 2016 International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling Best Paper in Robotics Track
- 2016 National Science Foundation NSF CAREER Award
Return to Faculty Directory