Associate Professor of Computer Science
- 1987, Master's Degree, Computer Science, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- 1985, Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Doctoral Degree, Computer Science, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Shahram Ghandeharizadeh received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in 1990. Since then, he has been on the faculty at the University of Southern California. In 1992, Dr. Ghandeharizadeh received the National Science Foundation Young Investigator's Award for his research on the physical design of parallel database systems. In 1995, he received an award from the School of Engineering at USC in recognition of his research activities. He was a recipient of the ACM Software System Award 2008 for his contributions to Gamma, a scalable database management system. His research interests include design, implementation and evaluation of novel architectures for high performance data intensive applications, multimedia based social networking systems, parallel database systems, and active databases. He has served on the organizing committees of numerous conferences; most recently as the general chair of FAB 2018 and VLDB 2019. His activities are supported by several grants from the National Science Foundation, Oracle, Microsoft, BMC Software, and Hewlett-Packard. He is the director of the database laboratory at USC. He was a member of ACM SIGMOD executive committee and the Editor-in-Chief of ACM SIGMOD DiSC from 2003 to 2006. He served as a member of the Council of Directors of Kodaikanal International School from 2005 to 2008.
Multimedia information management systems, decentralized algorithms for management of data in ad-hoc networks of wireless devices, information integration and service-oriented-architectures.
- 1992 NSF Young Investigator Award
- 1995 USC-School of Engineering Research Faculty Award (Junior)
- 1997 USC-School of Engineering Outstanding Teaching Award
- 1999 ACM ACM-SIGMOD Service Award
- 1999 Okawa Okawa Foundation Information Technology Fellow
- 2000 ACM ACM-SIGMM (Multimedia) Award
- 2005 USC Annenberg Fellow
- 2009 ACM ACM Software System Award for the Gamma Parallel Database System
Return to Faculty Directory