Research Professor of Computer Science and Spatial Sciences and Principal Scientist at USC Information Sciences Institute
- 1985, Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid
- Doctoral Degree, Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University
- Master's Degree, Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University
Dr. Yolanda Gil is Director of Knowledge Technologies and Associate Division Director at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California, and Research Professor in Computer Science and in Spatial Sciences. She is also Associate Director of Interdisciplinary Programs in Informatics. She received her M.S. and Ph. D. degrees in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University, with a focus on artificial intelligence. Dr. Gil has served in the Advisory Committee of the Computer Science and Engineering Directorate of the National Science Foundation. She initiated and chaired the W3C Provenance Group that led to a community standard in this area. Dr. Gil is a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and Past Chair of its Special Interest Group in Artificial Intelligence. She is also Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), and was elected as its 24th President in 2016.
Dr. Gil's research is on intelligent interfaces for knowledge capture and discovery, which she investigates in a variety of projects concerning knowledge-based planning and problem solving, information analysis and assessment of trust, semantic annotation and metadata, and community-wide development of knowledge bases. Dr. Gil collaborates with scientists in different domains on semantic workflows and metadata capture, social knowledge collection, computer-mediated collaboration, and automated discovery.
- 2010 ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence Elected Chair of ACM SIGART
- 2008 National Science Foundation Invited member to Advisory Council of the NSF CISE directorate
- 2003 American Association of Artificial Intelligence Elected Council of the AAAI
- 2001 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces Best Paper Award
- 1998 USC/ISI Meritorious Service Award
- 1996 ISI Teaching Fellowship
- 1996 Rome Laboratory Planning Initiative Award from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
Return to Faculty Directory