Research Professor of Computer Science and Spatial Sciences
- 1992, PhD, Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University
- 1989, Masters, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1989, Other, Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University
- 1985, Bachelors, Computer Science, Non USA University
- 1985, Other, Computer Science, Politechnic University of Madrid
Dr. Yolanda Gil is Director of Knowledge Technologies and Associate Division Director at the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California, and Research Professor in the Computer Science Department. She received her M.S. and Ph. D. degrees in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. Gil leads a group that conducts research on various aspects of Interactive Knowledge Capture. Her research interests include intelligent user interfaces, knowledge-rich problem solving, and the semantic web. An area of recent interest is collaborative large-scale data analysis through semantic workflows. She initiated and chaired the W3C Provenance Group that led to a community standard in this area. Dr. Gil has served in the Advisory Committee of the Computer Science and Engineering Directorate of the National Science Foundation. She is Past Chair of ACM SIGAI, the Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence. She was elected Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) in 2012, and President-Elect in 2016.
Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent User Interfaces, Knowledge Systems, Interactive Knowledge Capture, Distributed Systems, Workflows, Scientific Computing, Semantic Web.
- 1996 ISI Teaching Fellowship
- 1996 Rome Laboratory Planning Initiative Award from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
- 1998 USC/ISI Meritorious Service Award
- 2001 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces Best Paper Award
- 2003 American Association of Artificial Intelligence Elected Council of the AAAI
- 2008 National Science Foundation Invited member to Advisory Council of the NSF CISE directorate
- 2010 ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence Elected Chair of ACM SIGART
Return to Faculty Directory