Professor of Information Technology Practice and Industrial and Systems Engineering Practice
- 1989, Bachelor's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Birla Institute of Tech & Science
- Master's Degree, Aerospace Engineer, University of Southern California
Nitin Kalé is Professor in the Information Technology Program (ITP) and the Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California. He has taught at ITP since 1995 in the areas of programming, web design, interactive multimedia, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and data analytics. He has also been teaching at ISE since 2005 in the area of database design and implementation. Nitin’s current areas of interest are blockchain, cryptocurrencies, database modeling, enterprise information systems, business intelligence and big data analytics. Nitin developed a minor in Enterprise Information Systems in 2012. In 2016 he led the effort to launch a Minor in Applied Analytics which has garnered popular interest from undergraduate students at USC and is growing rapidly.
He earned his Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science, India in 1989. He received a Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Southern California in 1990.
He is the recipient of the 2016 Majdi Najm Outstanding Service award from SAP University Alliances. He received the 2020 John O’Brien Faculty Award for Service, Viterbi School of Engineering.
Nitin travels extensively around the globe to speak at academic and industry events on technological advances and their integration in University curricula. His latest endeavor is building a new Minor in AI Applications.
- 2020 Viterbi School of Engineering John O'Brien Faculty Service Award
- 2016 SAP University Alliances Academic Conference, San Diego SAP Majdi Najm Award for Outstanding Service
- 2014 Orthopaedic Institute for Children, Los Angeles Award for leadership and commitment to philanthropy through education,
- 2013 SAP University Alliances Visionary Member Award
- 2012 Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering Teacher of the Year for Excellence in Teaching and Dedication to Students
- 2005 Information Technology Program, VSoE Teaching Award
- 1998 Information Technology Program, VSoE Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1995 Graduate School Dissertation Fellowship
- 1994 Aerospace Engineering, USC Research Assistantship, Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Return to Faculty Directory