Dean's Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering and Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Computer Science, and Preventive Medicine
- Doctoral Degree, Computer Science, University of California - Los Angeles
- Master's Degree, Electrical Engineering, University of California - Los Angeles
- Bachelor's Degree, Electrical Engineering, SUNY - Buffalo State College
Carl Kesselman leads ISI's Informatics research initiatives area. Created to help transform the discovery processes, practice and delivery of healthcare worldwide, informatics spans grid computing, information security, service-oriented architectures, and imaging and medical informatics.
Kesselman is an ISI Fellow, the Institute's highest honor. One of the fathers of grid computing and the GLOBUS open-source toolbox, now the de facto grid computing standard, he has received numerous honors for his pioneering research. Kesselman and medical researcher Stephan Erberich developed Globus MEDICUS, a revolutionary grid system that enables physicians to exchange high-resolution medical images online.
Kesselman also is chief scientist of Univa Corp., a high-performance computing systems management and data center automation software provider he co-founded. He joined ISI in 1997 as a USC Computer Science Department research associate professor. Kesselman received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California at Los Angeles.
Highly collaborative research into the applicaiton of advanced distributed computing and collaboration techniques to grand challange problems in health informatics, biomedical science and policy
- 1998 Global Information Infrastructure Award in the Next Generation Infrastructure category
- 2002 MIT Technology Review Award: Ten Technologies that Will Change the World
- 2002 British Computing Society Lady Ada Lovelace Medal
- 2002 R&D Magazine Most Promising New Technology Award (best of the R&D100)
- 2002 R&D Magazine R&D 100 Award
- 2003 The Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer
- 2003 USC Information Sciences Institute Fellow
- 2003 World Technology Award for Information Technology Software Finalist
- 2003 InfoWorld Top 10 Innovators
- 2006 Best Paper
- 2006 University of Amsterdam Honorary Doctorate
- 2006 Foreign Academy Affilication
- 2007 ComputerWorld Horizon Award
- 2007 Internet2 Idea Award
- 2009 Viterbi School of Engineering Viterbi: Use Inspired Research Award
Return to Faculty Directory