Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Assad Oberai is a Professor in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the Viterbi School at USC. Prior to joining USC, he was a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies in the School of Engineering, and the Associate Director of the Scientific Computation Research Center (SCOREC). Assad was an Assistant Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at Boston University from 2001 to 2005, and joined the Rensselaer faculty in 2006. He received a PhD from Stanford University in 1998, an MS from the University of Colorado in 1994, and a Bachelor’s degree from Osmania University in 1992, all in Mechanical Engineering. Assad is on the Editorial Board of three journals, including PlosOne.
Assad's research involves developing numerical methods for solving inverse problems and problems with multiple spatial and temporal scales. In inverse problems he is working on the new area of biomechanical imaging with applications in detection, diagnosis and treatment monitoring of diseases like cancer, surgical planning and training, and facilitating fundamental studies in biomechanics and mechanobiology. His work on multiscale problems includes modeling incompressible and compressible turbulent flows, MHD flows, multiphase flows, problems with strong discontinuities, and modeling in joint spatial-temporal-parametric domains.
- 2004 Department of Energy Early Career PI Award
- 2005 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 2007 American Society of Mechanical Engineers Thomas J.R. Hughes Young Investigator Award
- 2009 Humboldt Foundation Humboldt Foundation Award for experienced researchers
- 2010 Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña, Barcelona Erasmus Mundus Master Course Lectureship
- 2014 School of Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Outstanding Team Award
- 2015 United States Association of Computational Mechanics (USACM) Fellow
- 2015 School of Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Research Excellence Award
- 2016 American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) Fellow
Return to Faculty Directory