Dean's Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Doctoral Degree, Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Master's Degree, Civil Engineering, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
- Bachelor's Degree, Civil Engineering, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Professor Soibelman obtained his Bachelor and Masters Degrees from the Civil Engineering Department of the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. He worked as a construction manager for 10 years before moving in 1993 to the US where he obtained in 1998 his PhD in Civil Engineering Systems from the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
In 1998 he started as an Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. In 2004 he moved as an Associate Professor to the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and in 2004 was promoted to Professor. In January 2012 he joined the University of Southern California as the Chair of the Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
During the last 12 years he focused his research on advanced data acquisition, management, visualization, and mining for construction and operations of advanced infrastructure systems. He published over 100 books, books chapters, journal papers, conference articles, and reports and performed research with funding from NSF (NSF career award and several other NSF grants), NASA, DOE, US Army, NIST, IBM, Bosch, IDOT, RedZone Robotics among many others funding agencies. He is the current chief editor of the American Society of Civil Engineers Computing in Civil Engineering Journal. In 2010 he received the ASCE Computing in Civil Engineering Award and in 2012 received the 2011 FIATECH Outstanding Researcher Celebration of Engineering & Technology Innovation, or CETI, Award.
During the last 2 years he has been collaborating with ADEPT to provide consulting services on BIM implementation to several large construction companies in Brazil
Use of information technology for economic development, information technology support for construction management, process integration during the development of large-scale engineering systems, information logistics, artificial intelligence, data mining, knowledge discovery, image reasoning, text mining, machine learning, advanced infrastructure systems, sensors, streaming data, and Multi-reasoning Mechanisms.
- 2017 ASCE Construction Insitute Construction Management Award
- 2016 ASCE Richard R. Torrens Award
- 2013 American Society of Civil Engineers - ASCE ASCE Fellow election
- 2012 FIATECH 2011 – FIATECH CETI (Celebration of Engineering & Technology Innovation) Outstanding Researcher Award
- 2010 American Society of Civil Engineers 2010 – ASCE Computing in Civil Engineering Award
- 2010 American Council on Education 2010 – American Council on Education Award