Fletcher Jones Foundation Endowed Chair in Computer Science and Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering-Systems
- Doctoral Degree, Computer Science, University of Southern California
- Master's Degree, University of Southern California
- Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology
Gaurav S. Sukhatme is a Professor of Computer Science (joint appointment in Electrical Engineering) at the University of Southern California (USC). He received his undergraduate education at IIT Bombay in Computer Science and Engineering, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from USC. He is the co-director of the USC Robotics Research Laboratory and the director of the USC Robotic Embedded Systems Laboratory which he founded in 2000. His research interests are in multi-robot systems and robot networks with a particular focus on aquatic robots. He has published extensively in these and related areas. Sukhatme has served as PI on numerous NSF, DARPA and NASA grants. He is a Co-PI on the Center for Embedded Networked Sensing (CENS), an NSF Science and Technology Center. He is a fellow of IEEE, and a member of AAAI and the ACM. He is a receipient of the NSF CAREER award and the Okawa foundation research award. He has served on many conference program committees, and is one of the founders of the Robotics: Science and Systems conference. He is one of the program chairs of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. He is the Editor-in-Chief of Autonomous Robots. He has served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, and on the editorial board of IEEE Pervasive Computing.
Sukhatme is interested in developing algorothms, techniques, and tools to design and understand large-scale, distributed, networked robotic systems with an emphasis on environmental monitoring.
- 2000 NASA/JPL/Caltech Excellent in Research
- 2000 University of Dortmund Gambrinus Fellowship
- 2001 USC VSoE/Northrup Grumann USC VSoE Junior Faculty Research Award
- 2002 NSF CAREER Award
- 2005 IEEE IEEE Senior Member
- 2005 AAAI AAAI Outstanding Senior Program Committee Member
- 2006 Okawa Foundation Okawa Foundation Research Grant
- 2008 USC Center for Excellence in Research Faculty Fellow
- 2010 IEEE IEEE Fellow
Return to Faculty Directory