Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 2014, Doctoral Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Duke University
- 2010, Bachelor's Degree, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Fudan University
Qiming Wang is an Assistant Professor at Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Prior to joining the University of Southern California, he was a postdoctoral associate in Mechanical Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2014-2015), and he received Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at Duke University in 2014. He received AFOSR Young Investigator Award (2017), MRS Graduate Student Award (2014), ACS Arthur K. Doolittle Award (2014), Kewaunee Student Achievement Award (2013), Lew Pre-doctoral Fellowship (2012), and ASME Applied Mechanics Division Best Paper Award (2011). He was elected to serve as the Editor (2018), Secretary (2019), Vice Chair (2020), and Chair (2021) of ASME technical committee on mechanics of soft materials. His research in bioinspired manufacturing and mechanics has been widely reported by Discovery, Washington Post, BBC Focus, NBC News, Wall Street Journal, NASA Tech Briefs, Materials Today, Physics Today, and NSF News.
His research is focused on Bioinspired manufacturing and mechanics of unprecedented materials and structures that can potentially address grand engineering challenges in infrastructure, environment, energy, robotics, and healthcare. His group integrates experiments, theories, and simulations to study cutting-edge problems in two areas: (1) Mechanics of Materials and Structures: constitutive modeling, multiphysics coupling, mechanical instability, fracture, adhesion, and healing; stimuli-responsive materials, self-healing materials, and polymer mechanochemistry; wave-structure interactions, acoustic metamaterials, and mechanical metamaterials; bacteria-material interactions. (2) Additive Manufacturing: new manufacturable materials and bioinspired manufacturing processes; lightweight structures and reconfigurable structures.
- 2017 Air Force Office of Scientific Research AFOSR Young Investigator Award
- 2014 Materials Research Society MRS Graduate Student Award
- 2014 Chinese Ministry of Education Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad
- 2014 American Chemical Society Arthur K. Doolittle Award
- 2013 Duke University Kewaunee Student Achievement Award
- 2013 International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics NSF-PACAM fellowship for PACAM XII
- 2012 Duke University Lew Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- 2011 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Haythornthwaite Foundation Travel Award
- 2011 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME Best Student Paper Award
- 2011 Duke University Triangle MRSEC Fellowship