Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- 2014, Doctoral Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Duke University
- 2010, Bachelor's Degree, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Fudan University
Qiming Wang is an Assistant Professor at Sonny Astani Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He received Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science of Duke University in 2014. Then, he was a postdoctoral associate in Mechanical Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He won AFOSR Young Investigator Award (2017), MRS Graduate Student Award (2014), ACS Arthur K. Doolittle Award (2014), Kewaunee Student Achievement Award (2013), Lew Pre-doctoral Fellowship (2012), and ASME Best Student Paper Award (2011). His research has been widely reported by Discovery, Washington Post, BBC Focus, NBC News, Wall Street Journal, Physics Today, and NSF News.
His research is focused on manufacturing and mechanics of unprecedented materials and structures that can potentially address grand engineering challenges including resilient structures and clean water. His group integrates experiments, theories, and computations to study cutting-edge problems in three areas: (1) Mechanics of materials and structures: Constitutive modeling, Multiphysics coupling, Mechanical instability, Fracture, and Healing; Self-healing polymers, Stimuli-responsive polymers, and Mechanochromic materials. (2) Additive manufacturing: Novel manufacturing process, Lightweight structures, and Smart structures. (3) Clean water: Water membranes, Water treatment, and Biofouling.
- 2017 Air Force Office of Scientific Research AFOSR Young Investigator Award
- 2014 Materials Research Society MRS Graduate Student Award
- 2014 Chinese Ministry of Education Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad
- 2014 American Chemical Society Arthur K. Doolittle Award
- 2013 Duke University Kewaunee Student Achievement Award
- 2013 International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics NSF-PACAM fellowship for PACAM XII
- 2012 Duke University Lew Pre-doctoral Fellowship
- 2011 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Haythornthwaite Foundation Travel Award
- 2011 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME Best Student Paper Award
- 2011 Duke University Triangle MRSEC Fellowship